New Health and Medical Forms
Recently the National Council Executive Board has approved a new Annual Health and Medical Form, which will replace the current Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 forms.
Starting in 2009 all Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers and Leaders will be required to use the BSA?s new Annual Health and Medical Record. In addition to standardizing the forms, the new health form will institute substantial procedural changes:
1. Any event longer than 72 hours will require an annual medical examination by a physician. There is no longer any allowance made for ?over 40? and ?under 40? individuals.
2. The annual medical exam must be completed on the ?official BSA medical form?. We are no longer permitted to simply attach a current school or work physical to the BSA form as in the past.
Actions You Should Take
1. Discard or recycle all of the former blank medical forms that you may be stock piling in your unit paperwork collection. Only the new forms will be accepted at any BSA camp. Copies of the new forms are available online or at the Council Service Center.
2. Every member of your unit that is planning to participate in outdoor programs longer than 72 hours this year must have a physical examination by a licensed medical provider and it must be recorded on the new official form. Since most health plans only pay for one physical per year, I recommend that every unit get the physical forms to their families as soon as possible. The old 36 month window for those under 40 no longer applies
3. The completed new Health and Medical Record is good for a period of 12 months. Units should make copies of the physicals and keep them in a secure file for use with unit activities.
This is a significant change in operations and will be a difficult transition for some as it will require more advance planning, which is why we are getting information out early so you can educate the rest of your unit.
The new medical form will be a useful tool that will confusion with three different forms. It will also create a safer environment at all Scouting events
There are two versions of the form you may use. An 8 1/2 x 11 form which prints on four sheets or an 11 x 17 version which prints on two.